SPTA Only Course Reimb./3rd Party Billing

Please note that course reimbursement, payroll/lane change, and certification are independent from one another and require separate documentation.
  • Paperwork for reimbursement and third party billing is dealt with by Accounts Payable - Lori Michaud.
  •  Paperwork for certification is dealt with by the Certification Clerk – Carolyn Sivik.
  • Paperwork for lane changes is dealt with by Payroll – Sarah Pinault.
Even though these three people reside in the office, information is not shared. We would not want to forget to share a piece of paperwork that would cause you to either not receive reimbursement/certification credit, or to postpone your reimbursement/lane change.


If you are using the course for both certification and reimbursement, you must submit the course twice in PDExpress – For both certification pre-approval and course reimbursement pre-approval.

·    Course reimbursement pre-approval Click the Propose Out-of-District PD button on the light gray toolbar; School Year is the active FY (2016 is school year 15/16); Type: K-12 Course Reimbursement Pre-approval; Description: enter the course # and course name. Click the Next button. On the next screen all fields with a black bullet are required fields. This electronic form must be completed in one sitting. When the entry is complete, please click the Submit for Review button.


The School Department currently offers both reimbursement (you pay up front), and pre-payment for tuition.

Either option begins with the same initial step, that you request Pre Approval for Course Reimbursement using the form found under “Propose out of District PD” in PDExpress. 

Once you receive notification via email that this class has been approved for reimbursement, at all 3 levels, you then have two options. You can either pay for the class, and submit for reimbursement after you have been awarded a grade, or you can fill in a separate form (Appendix F), and request that the district pre pay for the class using Third Party Billing.

If you wish to pay up front and receive reimbursement: 1) receive K-12 course reimbursement pre-approval in PDX; 2) upon course completion please submit a copy of your PDX pre-approval, a copy of your grade (this does not need to be an official transcript - it can be a print from your student portal, a B or better is reimbursable, a B- or lower is not; 3) a copy of your method of payment. Please send this documentation packet to accounts payable in central office. We do not accept electronic copies, paper only please.

If you wish to use Third Party Billing, after receiving the K-12 course reimbursement pre-approal in PDX you must fill in the current version of Appendix F completely, but only after receiving PDExpress approval, and submit it to accounts payable along with a detailed statement of account which shows the separate charges for tuition/fees (usually available through your student portal). Forms are not accepted prior to the class being approved in PDExpress. If the form is incomplete or the class has already begun, it will be returned to you.

There are slight variations for different colleges, but typically at that point, Accounts Payable will generate a PO and contact the college to arrange payment. Specific Third Party Billing Procedures for UNE, USM, St. Joseph's College, Maine Educator’s Consortium and the University of Phoenix, as well as Appendix F and a sample Statement of Account may be found in PDExpress: Resources, Documents, Course Reimbursement.

If SPSD has not used an institution for third party billing before, a relationship needs to be setup. In this case your class may not be eligible for third party billing, by the time arrangements have been made.

Here is the text from the CBA:


A.      The Board will reimburse a teacher for tuition costs and mandatory fees (at a rate not to exceed the USM tuition rate) for up to nine (9) graduate credit hours taken within a contract year, provided that:
          1.       The teacher receives a grade B or better, except in the case of a pass/fail course, for which a pass is required;
          2.       The course was approved in advance in writing by the Superintendent of schools; and
          3.       The request for reimbursement, accompanied by a transcript or grade report, is submitted within one year of the completion of the course.

B.       Reimbursement payments will be processed and disbursed three (3) times per year.

C.       Third Party Billing
            1.       As an alternative to the above reimbursement procedure, the Board shall provide any teacher who complies with the above approval procedures for course reimbursement the option of receiving an educational loan or advancement to any accredited college or university for a direct advance payment (“third party billing”).  The Superintendent shall make arrangements, at the employee’s request, with an accredited college or university for a procedure for third party billing for the educational loan or advancement, providing a third party billing option is available.  Third party billing is not allowable for the payment of any courses exceeding nine (9) credit hours per school year.
          2.       In the event that any employee who has used this advance payment procedure fails to complete successfully the course(s) for to provide written verification of successful completion within sixty (60) days from the ending date of the course, the employee shall reimburse the Board the amount of payment made on behalf of the employee.  Unless other written repayment arrangements are made with the Superintendent, any reimbursement owed to the Board by the employee shall be made by payroll deduction in six (6) consecutive payments.  Full payment may be made to the business office at any time.
          3.       Should the employee cease employment with the Board, the amount remaining due shall be paid in full from the employee’s final pay.
          4.       The employee must sign the payroll deduction form attached as Appendix F regarding the education loan/advancement prior to the implementation of direct third party billing by the Superintendent.

  D.      When a teacher is required in writing by an Administrator to participate in a course,   the Board shall prepay tuition and required fees for that course.

E.       The Superintendent shall have the discretion to grant exceptions to the graduate credit requirement, the pre-approval requirement, and to the limitation on credits taken and reimbursed.  The Superintendent’s decision is not grievable.